Do you have a mind that thinks a lot more than your opponent and can provide some excellent strategic moves in a board game? If you have then Go board game set can improve your thinking level and intelligence through conventional board gaming fun.
In this review article, I’ll provide you a description of some best selected go board game sets. In this game sets list, Yellow Mountain Bamboo Etched Go Game Set Board is obtaining the first position as it comes with better features than other products. The buying guide section will solve your confusion that rises in time of buying a go board game set. So continuing reading this article won’t disappoint you, I guarantee.
About Go Game
Go game is regarded as one of the hardest games in the world. To play this tough board game, you need to have an intellectual mind, who can read the opponent’s mind before he moves his next stone. Though the rules of this game seem to be simple, it will come to you as a complex game, when you start the game. I will discuss the rules o the game in one of the following sections.
The game requires two players and there is a huge number of playing pieces. The playing pieces are moved inside the board and a player tries to capture one of his opponent’s playing pieces. The game is tough to play, so you have to think harder. It will come to an end when both players will understand, there is no tactical move remaining for them.
1. Yellow Mountain Bamboo Etched Go Game Set Board (expensive)
Brand: Yellow Mountain
Weight: 11.8 pounds
- Two different sizes of board etched
- Made of durable bamboo
- Standard size grids
- 361 stones were included.
This Go game board from Yellow Mountain comes with two different dimension boards etched to one another. It has a 19 by 19 grid game board for standard playing and a 13 by 13 game board for the beginners. The smaller size board helps the beginners to learn the basics of the game easily.
The game board is made of solid strips of durable bamboo and these two layers of bamboo are attached. Each gird of the board measures 22 by 23.5 mm. The game set includes 361 stones. The stones measure 9 by 22 mm.
2. Brybelly Go Set with Reversible Bamboo Go Board
Weight: 3 pounds
- Standard size game board
- 13 by 13 game board designed at the bottom
- Board made of natural bamboo
- 2 cm thicker board.
This is a standard size, 19 by 19 grid Go game board fromBrybelly. The board also comes with a beginner board at the bottom, which is designed with 13 by 13 grids. The game set includes 361 black and white color stones.
There are two bamboo bowls made to hold all the stones and keep the different colors separate. The game board is made with pressed, natural bamboo. It is a board with 2 cm of thickness.
3. Yellow Mountain Medium Magnetic Go Game Set Board (cheap)
Brand: Yellow Mountain
Weight: 1.6 pounds
- Foldable game board
- Magnetic playing pieces
- Made of high-quality plastic
- Two go stone bowls included.
It is a foldable game board and magnetic playing pieces game set from Yellow Mountain. You can easily fold the game set and take it with you wherever you go. The game board is a standard one with 19 by 19 gird designed.
The game set includes 180 white stones and 181 black stones. The game board is made of high-quality plastic and it also includes two go stone bowls for holding all the stones during the game.
4. WE Games Wood GO Set with Pull Out Drawers
Brand: WE Games
Weight: 3.3 pounds
- Two storage drawers designed
- 12 inches board
- Standard board with 19 by 19 grids
- Board made of high-quality wood veneer.
This Go game board from WE Games comes with two special storing drawers to store all the playing stones. Most of go game sets has two extra bowls for holding stones, but WE Games has designed two drawers at two ends of the board.
The board is made of high-quality wood veneer to make it a nice durable game board. It measures almost 12 inches and is a standard size board with 19 by 19 grids.
5. Yellow Mountain Imports Dark Cherry Veneer Go Game Set Board
Brand: Yellow Mountain
Weight: 9.8 pounds
- Standard size board with a smaller board
- Each stone measure 9 by 22 mm.
- Girds measure 22 by 23.5 mm.
- Two sturdy, natural grain bowls.
This game board from Yellow Mountain comes with a standard size board and a smaller size board for the beginners. The large board has 19 by 19 grids and smaller boards with 13 by 13 girds.
361 stones included with the game set, measuring 9 by 22 mm. The grids of the board is standard size measuring with 22 by 23.5 mm. The game set includes two sturdy, natural grain bowls for storing the stones.
6. John N. Hansen Go Game with Wood Board
Brand: John N. Hansen
Weight: 1 pound
- Felted corners underneath
- Measures 11.75 inches by 11.75 inches
- Includes 361 stones
- An instruction book included.
This wooden game board from John N. Hansen comes with felted corners underneath. The game board measures, 11.75 inches by 11.75 inches in dimension.
This game set comes with enough playing pieces or stones. 181 black stones and 180 white stones are included in it. You will also receive an instruction book with the game set, which will make you understand how to play the game.
7. Brybelly Go Set with Natural Wood Board
Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Compact and portable design
- Board measures 11.4 by 11.4 inches square
- 361 double convex Bakelite stones
- Two releasable bags were included.
This standard size game board from Brybelly comes with a compact and portable design. This standard size board measures 11.4 inches by 11.4 inches square.
The game set comes with a full set of 361 double convex Bakelite stones, where 181 are black and the remaining 180 are white. You will also get two releasable bags to hold each color of stones during the gameplay.
8. Yellow Mountain Imports Go Japanese Game Board (Goban) (Japan made)
Brand: Yellow Mountain
Weight: 13.6 pounds
Black stones measure 22 by 9.5 mm.
White stones measure 21.8 by 9.3 mm.
Two securing bowl straps were included.
This wooden game board from Yellow Mountain comes with a reversible feature. You can reverse the board and play in a standard size board or smaller size board according to your want.
The game set includes 181 black precision stones measuring 22 by 9.5 mm. And 180 white stones measuring 21.8 by 9.3 mm. The game set includes a carrying bag. You will get two securing bowl straps to hold the playing stones during the game.
In this section, I’ll provide you the factors, which you need to consider before buying a Go board game set. Without knowing these few things, you will surely fall into confusion regarding which game is appropriate for you.
- Construction material: The game board you are going to use should be made of eco-friendly materials like wood or bamboo. High-grade durable bamboos are mostly used as material to build these boards. However, some boards are made of high-quality plastic.
- Board size: The size of the board mainly depends on the number of grids it has. A standard size board comes with 19 by 19 grids. Smaller boards are having 13 by 13 grids and even 9 by 9 grids. These boards are used for beginners.
- Playing pieces: Playing pieces are known as stones in the Go game. A game set must contain 361 stones, where 181 should be black and others should be white. Without an adequate number of stones, you can’t imagine playing this board game.
- Portability: A portable carrying bag will allow you to carry the whole game set with you wherever you go. High grade carrying bag will provide you this opportunity.
- Stone holding bowls: A game set must contain two stone holding bowls. During the game, all the black stones will be kept in one bowl and white stones will be kept in another bowl. However, some game sets have a built-in feature to hold the stones.
Go Game history
Go game is regarded as the oldest board game of the world and one of the hardest too. The origin of the game stays in Asia, specifically East Asia. China is known for the invention of this game. Except for China, the game is very popular in countries like Japan and Korea too.
According to most sources, the game was invented in China 4,000 years ago. Then the game earned a lot of popularity in Japan and Korea. In recent times, at the beginning half of the 20th century, this game gained huge popularity in Japan. If you have an intellectual mind, then you should try this board game once at least.
Go Game board dimension
Though the Go game is a hard game to play, the rules of this game are pretty simple and it requires not much equipment for playing. A game board is the first requirement for playing this game. A standard Go game board has 19 by 19 grids and this board allows the players to score 361 points maximum.
However, there are also small boards with less girds available. Smaller boards come with 13 by 13 grids typically. For the beginners, you can look for board having 9 by 9 girds as they will make it easier for them to learn the strategy of the game. There are some standard size boards, which have a smaller board designed on the opposite side.
Playing pieces of Go Game
The second and the last requirement to play Go Game are the playing pieces. The playing pieces of this game are known as stones. A Go game board requires a total of 361 stones. These stones are moved on the board and players try to remove the opponent’s stone by capturing it.
Among these 361 stones, 180 stones are white color and the remaining 181 stones are black color. The game typically startsmoving a black color stone and that’s why there is an extra stone in black color. Gather the playing pieces and let’s begin to test your strategic thinking power through some board gaming.
How to play Go Game
Are you new to go game? Then this section is especially for you. Without knowing how to play a game and game-like Go game, you can’t do well in the gaming time. Let’s inform you about the basic playing rules of the game.
- First setup the playing board and keep the stones near the game board. Remember to keep the black and white stones separate.
- Now decide which player will go first. A player having black stone will go first and have a little bit of advantage. But the white stone will receive points for this at the end of the game.
- You can create territory with your stones, but never place your stones in this region. Unless you will lose points.
- Try to capture your opponent’s stones by surrounding them with the same color of stones. This is called capturing.
- The game will come to an end when both players pass. The points will be counted depending on the intersections a player has.
After reading this article up to the bottom, you may not have any further confusion regarding which game set you should buy. The buying guide section of this article will help you a lot in finding a suitable game board including all pieces of equipment. I have discussed a bit about the rules of this game to make it easier to understand how to play the game if you are new in this field. Hopefully, you have enjoyed reading the article and now ready to test your intellectual power by buying a complete Go game set.