Hockey is a kind of team sport that is played in the turf. One team has to score more goals than the other team to win the game. So goalposts are essential in this sport. Goalpost of (ice hockey) is made of two standing bars that are joined at the top with another bar known as the crossbar. A net is in the goal post to grab the ball when it tries to go through the post. On the professional level, backboards are also used that stand 0.5 m. (1.6 inches) from the ground.
Hockey goalposts are white in color, and it has a rectangular shape. Dimensions of the goals can vary depending on how deep the goal is at the ground level and the crossbar level. According to IHF (International Hockey Federation), goals must be 3.66 m. (12 feet) wide. The crossbar of a field hockey needs to be 2.14 m. (7 feet) from the ground.
Best hockey goals
1. Mylec Deluxe Hockey Goal Set
Weight: 7.7 pounds
- The manufacturer used high-impact polyvinyl chloride tubing to construct the net frame.
- It comes with a sleeve netting system.
- The goal measures 37 inches long, 48 inches in width, and 18 inches in depth.
- It has a foldable design.
- There are two 43 inches long Jet-flo hockey sticks available.
- It comes equipped with a no-bounce ball.
This goal set from Mylec, includes a goal, two hockey sticks, and a ball. Mylec used polyvinyl chloride or nylon to make this goal set. Sleeve type netting is being also used in it. The ball included in this set is non-bouncy and it is very helpful for practice sessions. The sticks are 43 inches long. The goal set is usually used for ice hockey. But you can also enjoy practicing shots like a pro with this goal set.
The dimension of this product is 48 inches in width and 37 inches in height and 18 inches in depth. It weighs about 8 pounds. Users have the opportunity to fold the whole set. So this folding system allows a user of this goal set to assemble the product within a minimum range of time. Having these qualities, I think who wants to practice hockey shots like a pro and also wants an easy carry can buy this goal set from Mylec.
What we liked
- The inclusion of hockey sticks and ball makes the game goal set always ready to play.
- It assembles within few minutes providing more playing time.
- Because of the foldable design, it is easy to store and carry.
- The red and black color combinations make it kids' friendly game equipment.
- The no-bounce ball provides a real hockey game feel.
2. EZGoal Hockey Folding Pro Goal
Weight: 41.75 pounds
- The goal frame comes with heavy-gauge, 2 inches thick steel construction with powder-coating.
- It has a UV-protected, heavy-duty propylene net that has a nylon reinforced bottom skirt.
- It measures 72 inches wide, 48 inches long, and 30 inches deep.
- The manufacturer used a patent-pending, rock-solid folding mechanism here.
- There are durable lacings available through the metal loops.
- All parts including the net of the goal are replaceable.
This Hockey folding pro goal is made by EZGoal. These goals are made of a rock-solid folding system that allows players to assemble it within a minute. The goal is made of top quality steel frames that are 2 inches thick. This goal has another good side of setting up quickly. You can use it quickly and also can set it up with no tools required for that. The materials used in this goal increases the longevity of the product.
The curved pro-style of this product is made of 18 gauge frame and top-shelf. The frame used in it is built with rigid construction. This goal also offers a lifetime guarantee in the case of the net. Heavy-duty polypropylene UV treated net with nylon reinforced bottom skirt allows the goal to last for a long time or maybe a lifetime. The dimension of this goal is 72 inches in width and 48 inches in height. So if you want to fold flats in goals that allow easy transport, you can definitely buy this product.
What we liked
- The heavy-duty, durable net can withstand shots up to 75 mph speed.
- It offers proper rust resistance because of the powder-coated finish.
- Using the foldable mechanism, the netting system is easy to store and transport.
- You need no extra tools to set up the goal.
- With the UV-treated design, the net can easily withstand the outdoor elements.
- The regulation size allows professional games.
3. Franklin Sports Street Hockey Goal - Steel Street Hockey Net
Brand: Franklin Sports
Weight: 9.67 pounds
- The goal comes with heavy-duty, 1-inch diameter steel tubing frame construction.
- The manufacturer used a durable 2400D net.
- It measures 44 inches long, 54 inches wide, and 22 inches deep.
- It comes with a heavy base.
- There is a pro-style top shelf and back brace support brace available in the goal.
- It features an all-weather construction.
Franklin Sports made this durable all-weather product. This hockey goal is better for younger hockey players. This goal is designed with a pro-style top shelf. The netting system used is in this product is ultra-heavyweight. So you can use it in any weather as it highly weathers durable. It gives you the opportunity to play games both in the rain or sunshine.
The bars of the goal are made of steels, and the net is made of polyester. You will also find a color variation of red, white and multi-color. The dimension of this street hockey goal is 54 inches in width, 44 inches in height and 22 inches in depth. So if you are a street hockey player and want to have strong steel bars of your goal, then this product is the right choice for you.
What we liked
- The goal forms a stable setup with a heavy base.
- The heavy-duty net can withstand even the hardest shots with ease.
- With the inclusion of a back brace and top shelf, you can enjoy pro-level gameplay.
- It is usable both under rain and sunshine due to the all-weather construction.
- The steel tubing provides durable and long-lasting performance.
4. Franklin Sports Hockey Goal, Ball, and Stick Set - NHL
Brand: Franklin Sports
Weight: 6.9 ounces
- The goal comes with a high-impact 1.5 inches durable, PVC frame.
- The manufacturer used an all-weather, heavy-duty 2400D pre-installed net.
- It measures 40 inches high, 46 inches wide, and 22 inches deep.
- It comes with two 40 inches long plastic or wooden street hockey sticks.
- There is a high-density, official hockey ball available in the package.
- It is an NHL officially licensed product.
It is also a kind of street hockey goal set made by the Franklin brand. A goal, 2 sticks and a ball included in this goal sets. Makers used 1.5 inches of high impact polyvinyl chloride in it. It's a good choice for street hockey players also. It has high durability power that allows it to be used both in shiny and rough weather comfortably. 210D nylon sleeve has been used as a net material. To make sticks Franklin used HIPS.
This product also has a color variation of white, black, red, and multi-color. The assembled product weighs around 3 pounds. The dimension of the goal is 46 inches in width, 40 inches in height and 22 inches in depth. If you want a high quality assembled goal set then Franklin offers this product to you.
What we liked
- The complete set makes it always ready to start the game.
- It is easy and convenient to install goals.
- The durable netting system can withstand hard shots with ease.
- With the weather-proof netting, it is usable in any weather condition.
- The high-density ball provides pro-level performance.
These are a few goals of my own suggestions for you. You need to know your demands regarding a hockey goal and then you can have a look at these four products, which may help you in choosing the right goal for you.
Best knee hockey goals
1. Franklin Sports Mini Hockey Goal Set of Two
Brand: Franklin Sports
Weight: 6 pounds
- The goal with the netting system comes with insta-set folding joints.
- It comes with a fully collapsible, heavy-duty net.
- The package includes two goalie hockey sticks and four players’ hockey sticks.
- There are two soft foam hockey balls available.
- The net is 20 inches high and 28 inches wide.
- It comes with an easy carrying bag.
Franklin sports designed this mini hockey set for indoor hockey. It is a very useful set for beginners. This set of goals is easy to carry and you also get the opportunity to fold it. This is also a durable set of goals. If you are a goalkeeper in a hockey game and also a beginner, then you will find comfort in practicing your goalkeeping with this mini hockey goal set. As it is a goal set specially designed for the beginners, it has 2 goalie nets, 4 player sticks, 2 goalie sticks and 4 foam hockey balls.
This product also offers multi-color design. It weighs around 5 pounds or something. The dimension of the goal is 28 inches in width, 20 inches in height and 18 inches in depth. 900D polyester is used to make the net more durable. So if you are a beginner in hockey, than this set of goals will fancy your chances in practice.
What we liked
- The goals assemble within a few seconds using the folding joints.
- It is convenient storing with the collapsible design.
- Arranging a recreational match is just a matter of time with all the inclusions.
- The foam hockey balls are superbly safe for kids.
- You can store and take on go using the storage bag easily.
2. Franklin NHL Street Hockey Goal, Stick and Ball Set
Brand: Franklin Sports
- The hockey goal comes with rugged, high-impact 1-inch plastic tubing.
- The manufacturer used durable, 420D polyester netting in the goal.
- It measures 20 inches high and 28 inches wide.
- It comes with two mini hockey sticks of 15 inches long.
- The package includes two soft EVA foam mini hockey balls.
- It is a lightweight hockey goal.
This is another mini hockey set made by Franklin sports. This set includes everything that you, as a mini hockey player need to have to play hockey. It gives a young player to learn basics about hockey through this set of goals, stick and ball. It is also easy to assemble and dissemble. It offers more durability to the players which are a plus point for the beginners. The set of goals, stick and ball is also easy to carry for the players as they are very light in case of weight.
This set includes mini hockey goal, right-handed mini hockey stick, left-handed mini hockey stick and mini hockey balls. The dimension of the goal is 28 inches in width and 16 inches in height. The net of the goal is made of 429 denier nylon. So if you want to have fun in the indoor hockey then this set from Franklin would be a good choice.
What we liked
- There is one hockey stick for the right-handed player and another one for the left-handed player.
- The foam-constructed mini hockey balls ensure the safety of the young users.
- It can hold up to heavy use because of the durable netting.
- Within a few minutes, you can start playing as it allows quick assembling.
- Storing and taking on the go is a hassle-free process for this mini hockey goal set.
3. Franklin Sports NHL Mini Hockey Sets
Brand: Franklin Sports
- The manufacturer used plastic tubing to construct the goal frame.
- There is one right-handed and one left-handed mini hockey stick available in the package.
- It comes with a soft foam mini hockey ball that has an official team logo.
- The goal is 20 inches high and 28 inches wide.
- Two mini hockey sticks are 15 inches long.
This hockey set is made for the young players who want to have a bright future in hockey. These players will find ease in practicing with the help of this mini hockey sets. If any mini hockey players want to learn the basics of hockey in the home these hockey sets from Franklin give them that opportunity too. This mini hockey set includes two mini hockey sticks and a soft foam ball.
It allows a younger player to improve his skills in hockey and also staying in his home yard. Makers used high impact 1 inch of plastic tubing in this mini hockey set. This set of mini hockey can also be used in ice hockey. It offers color variations of red, silver, black and multi-color. The dimension of the mini hockey goal is 32 inches in width, 21 inches in height and 12 inches in depth. So it is a good mini hockey set for those younger players, who want to improve their skills in hockey and stay home at the same time.
What we liked
- Both right and left-handed players can participate in the game as there are two mini-sticks available.
- The soft foam ball is safe for younger kids to learn street hockey basics.
- The hockey sticks won’t damage the floor while indoor playing.
- It provides more playing time as it assembles quickly.
4. Mylec Deluxe Mini Goal Set
Weight: 4.5 pounds
- The two goals of the package have heavy-duty PVC tubing.
- It has easy to assemble sleeve netting system.
- It measures 23 inches high, 30.5 inches wide, and 13 inches deep.
- There are two pre-curved mini hockey sticks and one mini goalie stick included in the package.
- It includes a soft mini hockey ball.
- It is primarily made for the basement and backyard.
Mylec made this mini hockey goal set for the kids especially. This set of goals includes 2 mini goals, 2 pre-curved mini sticks and 1 pre-curved goalie stick and a single foam ball. The material used to make this goal set is PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride). This set of goals can easily be assembled which makes this mini goal set more good for the kids.
It has a sleeve netting system that allows the net to assemble within 3 minutes only. The weight of this set is also not a bit high. It weighs around 5 pounds while it is assembled. Dimension of the goal is 30.5 inches in width and 23 inches in height. So overall, it is preferable hockey set for the kids.
These are four sets of mini hockey goals, sticks and balls. If you like to play indoor hockey games or you have kids who you want to do better in the field of hockey in the future than these hockey sets can be a good choice for you.
What we liked
- The goals are durable enough for kids with PVC tubing.
- It takes minimal time to set up the goal and begin playing.
- The pre-curved stick design provides better shot-making.
- The mini softball is safe for all ages of kids.
Buying guide about hockey goals
Hockey goals are an important part of a hockey game. You need to have the perfect goals in your game for a better experience in the game. But it’s not an easy task to choose a hockey goal for you when you have no such idea of buying the product. So before buying a hockey goal you have to consider some things. In this segment of this article, I’m going to point out those things which will help you buy the perfect hockey goal for you.
1. Practice or Game
This is a big factor you have to think about before buying a hockey goal. The goals used for practice sessions and games are actually different from each other. You might find carrying a practice session goal easier than a field goal. You can fold almost all the practice hockey goals but this is not applicable for the real gameplay every time. Real game hockey goals need to fulfill all the standards imposed by the governing body. But the practice nets have no such standards to fulfill. So, depending on this one needs to buy a hockey goal.
2. The material used in goals
Different types of materials are used in a hockey goal depending on the brand or purpose of playing. Aluminum is used in hockey goals for the professional level of players. These matches require aluminum goal bars. Again, makers use steel in the goals when the level of the game is amateur. Plastics or PVC are also seen to be used in some kind of hockey goals. If the player is of a beginner level then these types of goals are suitable for them. So you have to consider these things while buying a hockey goal.
3. Level of the player
If you are a beginner, then you will prefer a hockey goal that is made of PVC or plastic. You will also want that kind of hockey goal, which is easy to carry. Sometimes players of beginner level especially want to have folding types of goals to carry them easily. Whereas, the skilled players use aluminum goals in their game. So the beginner level players and the professional level players use different types of goals and while buying you have to keep this thing in mind.
4. Indoor and outdoor
Outdoor hockey is field hockey. Players of professional level are supposed to play outdoor matches. They use high-quality goals in their games. But the players playing indoor games sometimes are professional and sometimes are not. Depending on that, the quality of their goals doesn’t match with the outdoor goals. You can’t just buy the same kind of hockey goals for the indoor and outdoor players. You can look above in this article to distinguish the difference between the outdoor hockey goals and the indoor hockey goals.
Therefore, buying a hockey goal, you need to consider these few things that I mentioned above. Without having the idea of your demands, you won't be able to buy the right product for you. Match your demands with the facts given above and I hope you will be able to buy the perfect hockey goal for you.
FAQ about hockey goals
1. How big is a hockey goal?
According to National Hockey League, a hockey goal is 72 inches (1.8 m.) in width, 48 inches (1.2 m.) in height and the depth of hockey goal is 44 inches (1.1 m.). Nets used in the back part of the goals are 6 feet by 4 feet.
2. How to make a hockey goal light?
For more comfort, while carrying a hockey goal, players prefer lighter hockey goals. Steel or aluminum-based hockey goals are much heavier ones. But instead of these, if you use plastic or PVC as goal materials, then the hockey goals will surely become lighter. These types of goals are suitable for training sessions or younger players. Besides those players who love indoor hockey, this type of light goal can be the best choice for them. It means light materials will make your hockey goals lighter.
3. How are hockey goals attached to ice?
Ice hockey is another kind of interesting kind of hockey. Matches are played on the ice surface. So it becomes a bit difficult to attach the goals in the ice. But modern magnetic nets use 20-pound cylindrical magnets adorned in the side posts of the net. In the past, eight-inch stakes were used to attach the goal to the ice. But now, the posts are placed over a cone-like metal-based piece that is attached to a standard anchor assembly in the ice.
4. What are the dimensions of a field hockey?
Traditionally hockey is played in a turf pitch. A hockey pitch is 100 yards (91.4 m.) in length and 60 yards (55 m.) in width. A hockey goal is 7 feet in length and 12 feet in width. Penalty spot of hockey is 7 yards (6.4 m.) from the goalmouth. The striking circle of this game is d shaped and it is 16 yards from the goalpost. There is a halfway line in a hockey pitch that divides the field into two parts. There’s also a backline, which is 60 yards long. These are the main dimensions of a field hockey you need to know.
Hockey is a good team sport played between two teams. Scoring more goals will make your team the winner. So goalpost is a must in this game. There’s a variation depending on a few things in goals used in a hockey game. This article is to clear those confusions that arise in your mind while buying a hockey goal. One general difference you will find in the hockey goals regarding indoor and outdoor games. All in all, you have to make a choice depending on your demands. And hopefully, this article will help you a lot in this regard.