Best Mancala Board Game reviews 2023
Are you thinking of a game, which has a bit of educational value and also provides your kids fun at the same time? Then a mancala board can provide you both these facilities. Mancala board is such a game that needs a bit of mathematical and strategic thinking. This game will surely improve the thinking power of your kids with some fun.
To choose a mancala board is never an easy task if you had no experience. That’s why this article contains a review of some best mancala board games. In this list, I have kept Mimgo Mancala Board Game on top. It is a solid wood board with a foldable travel design. You would love reading this article as there is an exciting segment containing the factors a buyer needs to consider before buying a mancala board game.
What is the Mancala board game?
Mancala is an ancient board game that requires a board with 48 stones or seeds as the playing pieces. The main objective of the game is to collect stones or seeds as many as possible. The player having the most number of playing pieces will be declared the winner of the match.
The game has a lot of variants and it is an excellent learning game for the kids. Any five years or more aged kids can enjoy this game and learn basic mathematical strategies through fun. So you can easily let your kids improve their strategic thinking by providing them a mancala board game set.
Best Mancalo board
1. Mimgo Mancala Board Game
Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Solid wooden board
- Foldable design
- Includes 72 colorful pieces
- Meets federal safety standards.
This mancala board game set from Mimgo is made of solid wood. The wooden mancala board offers you to fold when you are not playing and you need to unfold during the game. When it is unfolded, the board’s dimension is 18.5 by 5.45 by 0.75 inches and the folded board dimension is 9.25 by 5.5 by 1.5 inches.
The set includes 72 colorful stones and 8 to 16 pieces of stones added as spare randomly. The foldable travel designed mancala board is packed in a standard box. The board meets the federal safety standards and is recommended for anyone aged six or more.
- The foldable design makes it easier to take the board on the go.
- The use of high-quality solid wood provides real nature texture.
- The inclusion of gameplay instruction makes it easier to understand the game.
- The colorful game pieces attract the kids.
2. Classic Mancala Game
Brand: Cardinal Games
Weight: 1.5 pounds
- Great game for counting and strategy
- Wooden board
- Foldable mancala board
- Includes 48 multicolored stones.
This solid wooden mancala game set from Cardinal Games is suitable for both kids and adults. Mancala is always regarded as a game that improves your strategic thinking through fun. This board game also offers you an excellent opportunity for counting and strategy through fun gaming.
The board included in the set is foldable. When you unfold the board, it measures 5.25 inches by 17.75 inches with a storage sleeve. Expect the mancala board; the set also includes 48 multicolored stones, which will surely attract your kids. This two players strategic fun game is recommended for the player above six years.
- The game board is easy to store and carry because of the foldable design.
- The wooden board is durable.
- There is a storage sleeve available on the board.
- Multi-colors stones are favored by the kids.
3. GlobalDream Mancala Board Game with Stones
Weight: 2 pounds
- Solid hardwood constructed board
- 48 stones with five replacement stones
- Easy to understand game instructions
- A handy carry pouch.
This mancala board game set from GlobalDream is made to last for generations. The board included in the set is made of solid hardwood, which will provide you perfect gaming experience with enhanced durability. The whole set comes in a beautifully designed game box.
This complete mancala set includes main stones and five extra stones for replacement. There is also a game instruction included in the set, which allows you to play the game easily. You will not feel uncomfortable carrying the whole set as it comes with a handy carry pouch.
- The stones remain safe inside the game board when not in use.
- It is easy to learn the game with the included gaming instruction.
- The game set comes with beautiful craftsmanship.
4. Vicente Oak Wood Folding Mancala Board Game
Brand: Best Chess Set
Weight: 2 pounds
- Foldable game board
- Made out of solid oak wood
- Includes 50 stones approximately.
- Board has padded feet.
This is a complete mancala board game set from Best Chess Set. The set comes with a complete set of stones, approximately 50 pieces and a wooden board. The board is constructed of solid oak wood, which is an eco-friendly wood grown in the USA.
With the board and the adequate number of stones, the game set comes with a playing instruction to make it easier for the new players to understand playing this game. The game board has padded to feet to protect furniture and clasp for game piece storage.
- The foldable design of the board offers compact storage.
- The game pieces remain secure inside the game board after the game.
- The padded feet underneath the game board protect the furniture.
- The game set is ideal for traveling.
5. Pressman Mancala – Real Wood Folding Set
Weight: 15 ounces
- Hinged wooden board
- Foldable board for easy storage
- Tested for safety and quality
- Recommended age six or up.
This mancala game set from Pressman comes with a hinged wooden board, which folds for easy storage. The foldable design of the board offers you to carry it easily wherever you like. So this game set is an excellent choice for home and travel.
The wooden game set reinforces STEM and STEAM skills. It is tested for quality and safety. The set is perfect for two players. According to the manufacturer company, anyone aged six or up can go with this game set and improve their strategic skills.
- The foldable design of the board provides easy storage.
- It is a suitable game set to take on the go.
- It develops logic and reasoning skills.
- The game board is easy to set up.
6. Yellow Mountain Imports Mancala Set
Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
- The board is made of solid rubberwood
- Includes 48 colorful quartz pebbles
- Each pebble measures 10 mm in diameter.
- Recommended for five years or up.
This exquisite wooden board from Yellow Mountain Imports features a beautifully detailed motif that reflects the origins of the game. The board is made of solid rubberwood. It measures 17.3 by 4.5 by 1 inch. Each board’s end pocket is 1.9 inches in diameter and the middle pockets are 1.4 inches in diameter.
This complete mancala set includes 48 colorful quartz pebble game pieces. Each of these pebbles is about 10 mm in diameter. It is a two-player game and according to the manufacturer company, anyone of 5 years or above can enjoy mancala with this board game set.
- The game board is nicely designed with solid rubberwood construction.
- The inclusion of easy-to-follow illustrated instruction makes it easier to understand the game.
- The stones come in uneven size.
7. ROPODA Mancala Board Game Set
Weight: 1.9 pounds
- Mancala board made of quality rubberwood
- Beautiful glass stones included.
- Extra five stones for replacement
- Larger wells for storing up to 7 stones.
This mancala board game set from ROPODA comes with a mancala board and adequate playing pieces. The board included in the set is built of quality rubberwood. It also comes with beautiful mancala glass stones. The smoothness of the board and the stones offers you a premium feel.
The set is also equipped with five extra stones as the replacement and larger wells that can comfortably hold up to 7 stones. This game set will provide enhanced fun and a comfortable feel for both kids and adult players.
- The foldable design of the game board makes it suitable to take on the go.
- The user can keep the game pieces inside the board securely.
- The use of quality rubber construction makes it a smoother board.
- You can enhance the gaming experience as the larger wells can hold up to 7 game pieces.
8. Regal Games Foldable Wooden Mancala Board Game
Brand: Regal Games
Weight: 1.6 pounds
- A foldable game board
- The game board is made of solid wooden construction
- 48 colorful glass stones
- Durable and long-lasting.
Carry the mancala board and enjoy the gaming with your family and friends wherever and whenever you like. The game set includes everything you need to play a classic mancala game. The manufacturer used solid wooden construction to make the game board. The game board is foldable, which makes it an ideal choice for easy transportation.
You will also find enough stones included in the game set for two players. There are a total of 48 glass stones included in the game set, which are highly durable. The colorful stones come in a combination of green, blue and clear. You don’t have to worry about the durability of the game set as both the board and the stones are made to last.
- The solid wood construction ensures the durability of the game board.
- The foldable design makes it easy to carry.
- You can safely store the gameplay stones inside the game board for easy storage.
- The colorful game stones attract the younger ones.
9. Juegoal mancala wood board game
Weight: 1.85 pounds
- The manufacturer used high-quality, premium thicker wood to build the board and box.
- The board measures 17.5 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 0.65 inches deep.
- There are 48 colorful glass stones available with five extra stones.
- Each round hollow is 1.8 inches in diameter.The board has metal hinge connections, and the box is locked with a metal latch.
- The package contains easy-to-read instructions.
If you are searching for a travel-size mancala board game with all the necessary things included in the package, it is probably the one you are looking for. The board comes in a box-like design, where 53 glass stones are safely stored.
When you expand the box, you will find several hollow rounds of extra-large sizes. These can hold more stones than normal and also the package includes five extra stones with the typical 48 stones. If you want to take the game board on the go, you need to fold it down. The wooden structure and finish makes the construction durable and ensures of having a long-lasting performance. The stones are colorful, which enhances the fun for the kids.
- The compact, foldable design of the game board makes it convenient to take on the go.
- The extra-large round hollows can hold more colorful glass stones than normal.
- The stones won’t fall because of the metal latch locking on the box.
- With the easy-to-read instruction manual, it is much easier understanding the game.
- The thicker wood ensures durable and robust construction.
- The inclusion of five extra stones supports when any stone is lost.
You might not want to get confused while choosing a mancala board in the market. And that’s the reason why you need to know the factors that will help you to choose the right mancala board game set. For making the purchase easier, I’m going to discuss these few crucial factors in this segment of this article.
Construction of the board: Before choosing any mancala board game set, you must watch out the mancala board’s construction. Different manufacturers use different woods to build the board like oak wood or rubberwood. But you should look for a constructed board with solid wood; it doesn’t matter whether it is oak wood or rubberwood.
Design: The board’s design mainly depends on how much you want to spend on this mancala board game set. Cheaper boards will come with a simple design, of course. Meanwhile, if you spend more money, you can buy a colorful and attractive game board to attract the kids more.
Foldable board or not: I would recommend going for a foldable board for easy storage. Foldable boards will allow you to fold it after you have finished the game and easily store it.
The number of playing pieces: A complete mancala board game set should include a minimum of 48 playing pieces. It’s better if the set is equipped with a few extra playing pieces for replacement.
Size of the playing pieces: The playing pieces’ size should be adequate to let the holes or cups hold as many pieces as possible. The larger size will allow fewer pieces to hold in the cups of the board.
Carrying case: A carrying case will solve the problem of storing and carrying the whole mancala board game set for you and board game bag can storage your board. So for convenient storage and carry, the game set should come with a carrying case.
How to play Mancala game?
Every game has definite rules and as a player, you need to know the rules before playing the game. So, the mancala game has its own rules of play. It would be helpful for your kids if they knew how to play this game. That’s the reason why I’m going to discuss the rules of this game below.
- First of all, you need a mancala board and 48 stones or seeds known as the playing pieces to play the game.
- The mancala board has a total of 12 cups to store these 48 playing pieces or stones. So at the starting of the game, you need to place four pieces in each cup of the board.
- Now choose a player to go first by a coin toss. Meanwhile, in mancala game, the player going first doesn’t get many advantages.
- The objective of the game is to collect as many stones as possible.
- Toss winning player starts the proceedings by picking up all the four stones from a cup in his side. Then, he has to place one stone each in four different cups.
- He can place a stone in his mancala, but can’t go for the opponent’s mancala.
- If a player makes all the six cups in his side empty, the other player takes all the remaining stone of his side in his mancala.
- Then the result of the game is decided by counting the number of stones each player has in their mancala. The player having the most number of playing pieces or stones is declared the winner of the match.
A brief history of the Mancala game
Mancala is an ancient game that was found in Africa centuries ago. The evidence of this ancient board game was first found in Egypt in the 4th century AD. This game’s origin was found in Abu Sha’ar, a late Roman legionary fortress on the red sea coast of Egypt. Later on, the game was again discovered in Aksumite Ethiopia in Matara between 6th and 7th AD. The word mancala is taken from an Arabic word, naqala that means to move. So you can call this mancala an ancient board game which originates from Africa.
Where can I buy?
Nowadays, buying anything has become much convenient than ever. You don’t need to go to the market to know whether the product is good to buy or not. You can check out the quality online, just like we have done the same thing here by discussing the top mancala boards in the article.
Now you can choose any of these products from the list and click on the provided link to purchase them. Clicking on the link will take you to the buying page, and you will find several customer reviews there. These reviews and ratings help the buyer to identify the actual quality. Then you can purchase it without having any doubt in mind.
Can you play mancala by yourself
Nope, you can’t play mancala by yourself as it is a two-player game. The objective of the game is to collect more stones than your opponent at the end of the game. Following the basic rules, you can’t enjoy a solo game on a mancala board.
- The game starts with a total of 48 stones kept in twelve holes on the board.
- With a coin toss, it is decided which one of the two players will go first.
- The first player will grab all stones from one hole and drop them consistently in the following holes counter-clockwise.
- He will do so until he has no stones left in his hand.
- In his turn, the second player will do the same.
- The player putting the final stone into an empty hole is declared the winner.
These are the basic rules of playing a mancala game, which implies that you can’t play mancala by yourself.
Is mancala a board game?
Yes, mancala is a board game. The whole game is played typically on a wooden board, which contains stones or seeds. Without a board, you can’t imagine playing mancala. And a game that uses aboard as one of the basic equipment is called a board game.
There are some basic things you need to know about a mancala board.
- Mancala boards typically have wooden construction.
- The boards can be small, medium, large, and foldable.
- There are two parts inboard.
- Each part has six round-shaped holes and one oval-shaped hole.
This article’s contents might have been able to satisfy you guys who are looking for a mancala board game set for their kids. So, now it’s time to satisfy your kids with one of them. The products discussed above are better, in my opinion, than others. You can choose one from these items and let your kids improve their mathematical and strategic thinking through some board gaming. I have also thought of making it easier for you to choose the right board game. And for this, there is a buying guide containing the factors which are very important to consider before buying a mancala board game. It would be better for the kids if they knew playing rules before playing the game and that’s why I have discussed the rules of the game. So, do no more delay to provide a mancala board game to your kids.