If you like the dominos game, you must try the Mexican train game. This is the best dominos game admitted by the experts and it will provide both kids and adults a great fun time with the family. Attach dominos to create a train and use all of your tiles first to become the winner.
Spin Master Mexican Train Dominoes Game in Aluminum Carry Case is my first recommendation for buying a Mexican train game set and it is placed on top of the list of best Mexican train game set reviews. If you want to know what equipments you need the game set to have and also the gameplay rules then continue reading the article.
Number of dominoes used in a Mexican train game
Sometimes players seem to get confused before starting the game in distributing the dominoes or tiles among the participants. What number of tiles each participant will receive depends on the number of participants.
- 2 to 4 players: In this setup, each player will receive 15 dominoes or tiles.
- 5 to 6 players: The distributor will distribute 12 dominoes to each player in this setup.
- 7 to 8 players: The more participants, the fewer dominoes will be received and here the number of dominoes will be 10.
The remaining dominoes after distributing to each player will stay on one side of the table and they will be called boneyard.
Best Mexican train game set
1. Spin Master Mexican Train Dominoes Game in Aluminum Carry Case
Brand: Spin Master Games
Weight: 4.2 pounds
Build your train with the dominoes pieces and have a great family fun time. This Mexican train game set comes with 91 double-12 dominoes. The game set also allows you to play double 6 or double 9 game versions for quick enjoyment. There are 9 trains included in the game set as well.
You will find score pads in the game set that are used to keep the scoring tracks running. The dominoes pieces and the trains are made of plastic. The game is playable between 2 to 8 players and according to the manufacturer, anyone over 8 years is allowed to play the game.
The game can be played for a single round as well as for 12 rounds. It also includes a sturdy; aluminum-constructed carrying case that allows safely storing the playing equipment and taking them on the go if you want. The easy-to-read instruction helps the participants understand the basics of the game easily.
- Includes 91 double-12 dominoes
- 9 colorful train pieces
- Keeps the scoring track running on the score pad
- It also includes an aluminum carrying case.
2. Regal Games Double 15 Dominoes Mexican Train Game Set
Brand: Regal Games
Weight: 5 pounds
The game set from Regal Games comes with a total of 136 dominoes pieces, which allows the players to play the game for 15 rounds. Every tile included in the set is designed with colored dots. There is a wooden hub in the game set, which is placed in the middle of the board at the starting of the game.
The game set also includes 8 metal train pieces, which you have to use when you can’t place a tile on your turn. The color paints used to design the dots on the domino pieces are non-toxic and eco-friendly. So don’t worry to let kids play the game.
There is a collector tin included in the game set that offers you to store the game pieces securely in there and it also lets you carry the whole game set with you if you like. According to the manufacturer, the game is eligible for 8 years or up and 2 to 8 players can participate at a time in the gameplay.
- 136 double-15 tiles
- Eight metal train pieces
- Eco-friendly and non-toxic color dots on the tiles
- It also has a collector tin.
3. EnterCHH Double 15 Numeral Pro Size Mexican Train set
Weight: 6.3 pounds
This is two in one dominos game set from CHH that includes a Mexican train set as well as a chicken domino set. It comes with 136 double-15 tiles. Unlike the first two products I have mentioned, the tiles of this game set are designed with colored numbers on the surface.
Except for the domino pieces, it also has eight plastic train markers and two chicken markers. The plastic train markers are used to show the open train building area also the start of making Mexican trains. There is also a plastic hub included in the game set, which you have to place in the middle of the board to place set the opening tile.
There is a strong, robust aluminum case included in the set. This aluminum case makes it superbly easy for you to store the gameplay equipment inside and keep them secure while you are not playing. According to the manufacturer, kids of 8 years or above are allowed to play the game.
- Eight train markers with two chicken markers
- 136 double-15 domino tiles
- Aluminum carrying case for convenient storage and carry
- It also includes a plastic hub.
4. KAILE Mexican Train Dominoes with Numbers
Weight: 5.1 pounds
Now you can enjoy the double 12 dominos game with this Mexican train game set from KAILE. The game set comes with a total of 91 double-12 domino tiles. The tiles are made of safe and harmless melamine. The manufacturer has used non-toxic and eco-friendly paint colors to draw the numbers on the tiles.
The numbers on the tiles are carved and they will not wear or fade away even after a long time of use. Moreover, there are four detailed colorful trains included in the game set. There is a wooden hub included in the game set, which comes with eight slots to store the trains during the game.
The aluminum carrying case turns out to be a basic need for such game sets as it allows you to store the small game pieces securely inside. If you want to take the game set with you, you can do so nicely with the carrying case. It is a 2 to 8 player game and it is recommended for 8 years or up kids.
- Includes 91 double-12 domino tiles
- The tiles are made of harmless and safe melamine
- The numbers on the tiles are carved
- There is a plastic hub with built-in slots.
5. Exqline Wooden Hub for Mexican Train Dominoes with Felted Bottom
Weight: 3.8 ounces
Setup this wooden hub from Exqline for the Mexican train game in the middle of the board, before you are ready to go in the game. The hub is made of superior pine wood and it is well constructed. It is a tough and dense hub, which also provides you a smoother feel.
Moreover, the manufacturer has used soft non-woven cloth at the bottom of the hub with a light coating of lacquer. It comes with a flat foundation for the Mexican train centerpieces. Then they used two pieces of wood on the main body to form the top slot. This construction ensures that the tiles and the train markers will stay well on the hub.
The hub is a perfect choice for professional size domino pieces. However, the extra room in the slots also allows a few large tiles to settle down nicely. You will find eight slots around the center tile slot on the hub to place eight trains and that’s why it is a suitable one for eight players game.
- It is made of superior pine wood
- Soft non-woven cloth and light coating of lacquer at the bottom
- Have extra room for large dominoes
- Eight train slots.
6. Tactic Games US Mexican Train set
Brand: Tactic Games US
Weight: 3 pounds
Play the world’s most famous domino game with this Mexican train game set from Tactic Games US. The game set is equipped with 91 nicely designed dot tiles. The tiles have colorful dots designed on the top surface. The color used to paint is non-toxic and safe for kids.
The game is playable between eight players and there are eight colorful train pieces included in the game set. There is also a station hub, which is placed in the middle of the board before starting the game.
However, the game set also comes with a robust tin to keep the playing equipment securely in one place. To win the game, you need to use all the domino pieces or tiles first anyone does.
- 91 colorful dots domino tiles
- There are eight colorful train pieces
- There is a station hub
- The robust tin keeps all the equipment secured in one place.
7. Fundex Games Mexican Train Set Game
Brand: Fundex Games
Weight: 4.5 pounds
This Mexican train game set from Fundex Games comes with a high-quality hub that has a built-in speaker. During the game, when you press the button, it will toot and chug. This feature provides the kids amazing fun time.
The game set includes a total of 91 double-12 domino tiles. There are also nine mini-train pieces included in the game set. The tiles are designed with colorful dots and there is enough room on the hub for placing the opening tile.
There is a specially shaped tin carriage include in the game set that provides convenient storing of the game pieces when they are not in use. If you want to have the sound from the hub, you have to insert batteries in this. The gameplay instruction will help the kids to understand the basics of the game easily.
- High-quality hub with built-in speaker
- Domino tiles with colorful dots
- Specially shaped tin carriage
- There are nine mini-train pieces included.
You should never miss
Buying a game set without having the required equipment is never a wise decision. In the same way, you need to buy a complete Mexican train game set and this buying guide will be helpful for this.
The dominoes are also known as tiles, domino pieces in the game. Typically, there are two quantities of dominos a game set includes, 136 and 91. The first one allows 15 rounds of the game and the second one allows 12 rounds of the game. These dominoes can be designed in two ways, with colored dots, and with colored numberings. Mostly they are made of plastic, although some manufacturer uses melamine for this.
To start the Mexican train, you need to set up a train piece on one side of the middle tile and that’s where you need train pieces. The game is playable between a maximum of eight players and you should buy a set that includes eight colorful train pieces. The train pieces can be made of plastic, wood, or metal.
Not every game set includes a hub, but some sets do. At the starting of the game, this hub is set in the middle of the table. It is a good one for placing the opening tile in the right place. It is
An aluminum carrying case in the game set is so helpful for storing the equipment in one secure place. It also allows the user to take the whole game set on the go as all the equipment is already placed inside one safe carriage. However, this carrying case is also known as carrying tin. The structure of the case should be robust and strong.
This is an important addition to the game set as it helps the younger players even the adults to know more in-depth details about playing the game. The detailed instruction will make you understand the game rules easily.
How to play Mexican train game
If you have bought a complete Mexican train game set, then it is not a difficult game to play on.
- At the starting of the game, all the dominoes are placed on the table face down. From these facedown dominoes, players flip one by one and try to find a double-12 or double-15 domino.
- Whoever finds the double-12 or double-15 domino first will go first in the game and also set the double domino in the middle of the board face up. Then it is called the engine and you can also set this domino in a hub, which is known as the station.
- Then each player will take the same number of dominos depending on the number of participants. They will keep their dominos face down or standing without showing the number to the opponents.
- The remaining dominos will be called boneyard.
- The first player now has to place a domino that is adjacent to the engine. He can continue placing more dominos as long as they are adjacent to the previous one.
- Then the other players will get their first moves in clockwise order.
- On the second turn, each player can only place one adjacent domino. If he can’t find an adjacent one, he has to draw one from the boneyard. Place that domino if it is adjacent or place a marker if it is not and make it an open train. Any player can place dominos here until you make a legal move.
- If a player places a double domino, he gets a chance of placing another adjacent domino.
- After the first turn, players can create the Mexican train, which is open for everyone.
- The player who uses all of his dominoes is the winner of the game.
Why it is called the Mexican train game
The object of this game is to get rid of all the dominos before the other participants and win the game. Meanwhile, the players build an extra train during the gameplay along with their own trains, which is known as the Mexican train (wikipedia). Again, some modern game versions have built-in Mexican train sounds like toot and chug. That’s why; the game is called the Mexican train game.
Mexican train game strategy
There are some strategies you can follow to play and win the Mexican train game successfully.
- Always keep your tiles hidden from the others and don’t let anyone notice which number of tiles you have.
- Try to go for building your own train first, and then look for the open trains or Mexican trains.
- You know double tiles are very crucial in the game. Try not to use them at the starting of the game, rather keep them save for the ending that will help you to block the others to place their tiles during the ending phase of the game.
Dominos games are always a good source of fun for the kids and they will definitely love to play Mexican train games. The game sets I have mentioned are worth consideration as they are a complete game set.
Last Updated on July 19, 2022 by Efti