In this hot summer season, you are looking to have fun playing disc golf in your nearest park or open space. But the reason you are still sitting inside your home is that you don’t have any disc golf basket Oh! Don’t worry, because I’m here to suggest to you the best portable disc golf baskets.
This review of the top portable disc golf basket will help you in choosing the right basket according to your want. The list starts with MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Portable Disc Golf Basket. You will find a buying guide section, which is the most important part of this article. Continue to read it to know more about portable disc golf baskets.
Basket in disc golf
The baskets used in disc golf are referred to as the holes or targets of the game. You have to complete a target by putting the discs with less number of throws. There are several baskets used in the game and you have to complete the course by putting your discs in the targets.
In my opinion, these baskets are the most important equipment you need for playing disc golf. It is made up of a galvanized steel pole. This pole has chain holders, where several numbers of chains are attached. You can use permanent baskets if you have enough open space in your backyard. Unless buying a portable disc golf basket is the right companion for playing the game.
Related Post: Disc Golf putter discs reviews
Top 7 reviews
1. MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Portable Disc Golf Basket:
Brand: MVP Disc Sports
Weight: 35.5 pounds
- Sturdy all-metal construction
- 12 inner and 12 outer chains
- Chains are zinc coated
- Assembles in a minute.
This portable disc golf basket comes with an all-metal sturdy construction. It has 24 high visibility zinc coated heavy duty course weighted chains. There are 12 outer and 12 inner chains.
All these chains are equidistantly oriented for zero weak pockets. This orientation reduces cut through and pole bounces. You can assemble the whole set within a minute. And it comes with keeping the standard of PDGA height and size regulation.
2. DGA Mach 2 Disc Golf Basket, multi
Weight: 52.5 pounds
- Durable and heavy-duty steel construction
- Weather-resistant basket
- Two rows of chains
- Portable base.
This is an excellent, weather-resistant, high quality, and tough disc golf basket from DGA. You can use this basket for practice sessions or competitive games. It comes to you with a portable base.
The basket is designed with two rows of chains, which has 18 strands. These chains prevent the bounce out from hitting the pole. It has got patented sliding link technology that softens the impact of the disc to the chains.
3. Innova 18 Chain Portable Disc Golf Basket
Weight: 26 pounds
- 18 strands of galvanized chains
- Durable yellow powder-coated finish
- Lightweight basket
- Two electroplated galvanized poles.
This portable disc golf basket from Innova comes with 18 strands of galvanized chains. It also has the chain rack to set up the chain across. It is designed with a durable yellow powder-coated finish with a pre-attached chainset.
The electroplate galvanized four spoke system of this basket is wide enough and strong to stabilize the target. But don’t worry about the weight as it is a very lightweight one. It comes with two poles, which also have an electroplated galvanized finish.
4. Axiom Discs Pro 24-Chain Disc Golf Basket
Brand: Axiom Discs
Weight: 36 pounds
- Sturdy all-metal connection
- 24 high visibility zinc coated heavy duty chains
- Electroplated tough powder coated shell
- Assembles in a minute.
This disc golf basket comes with sturdy all-metal construction and all the joints are welded perfectly. It comes with 24 high visibility zinc coated heavy duty course weighted chains.
It is designed with electroplated with a tough powder coated outer shell to ensure extra durability and protection. The basket is uniquely engineered and you can assemble it within a minute easily. It has threaded tension connections for a sturdy assembly without any distracting wobble or play.
5. YAHEETECH Disc Golf Basket Portable Metal Disc basket
Weight: 25 pounds
- Made of painted iron and plastic
- Heavier and sturdier chains
- All metal hot dipped galvanized finish
- Pole made of high-quality iron frame.
This portable basket from YAHEETECH is made of painted iron and plastic. It comes with heavier and sturdier chains for better catching at less than 21 pounds. The chains of the basket are sturdy and removable.
It comes with an all-metal hot-dipped galvanized finish for ensuring durability and long-lasting protection against rough weather. The pole is made of a high-quality iron frame. And it comes with a simple pin design.
6. Innova Skill Shot Target
Weight: 25 pounds
- 600 denier polyester skin
- Various colors available
- Sturdy tripod base
- 16 real chains included.
This disc golf basket comes with colorful 600 denier polyester skins. The skill shot is available in black, blue, forest green, and red. It just may also be the most visible disc golf target available in the market.
It is designed with a sturdy tripod base. The skill shot also has 16 real chains Keep one in your trunk for an impromptu practice session whenever, where ever. More flexibility is ensured in the basket.
7. Dynamic Discs Recruit Portable Disc Golf Basket
Brand: D-D Dynamic Discs
Weight: 70 pounds
- 13 outer and 13 inner chains
- Electroplated and powder coated
- Includes tension screws
- Top band in 3 inches tall.
This disc golf basket from D-D Dynamic Discs comes with 13 inner and 13 outer chains that are zinc coated. The basket is first electroplated and then powder coated for extra protection from natural elements.
It has got tension screws, which are included to increase the stability. The pole of the basket is made of two parts. The top band on the basket is 3 inches tall. It comes meeting the standards of PDGA.
I suppose to buy the right disc golf basket; you need to know the factors that are worth consideration. After the product discussion, you might have chosen your product already, but still, I think you should read this section carefully to make the buying process a lot easier.
- Construction: The construction materials for these baskets are two types mainly. One is the metal and fabric mixed materials, which is a lot of lightweight baskets. But these baskets won’t be enough strong, sturdy or even long-lasting. Another type of material is solid steel or metal. It might be heavier or a bit difficult to carry, but you will surely get a sturdy disc golf basket.
- Enough visible or not: The color of the chains and the basket will provide you enough visibility or not. If you can’t find out the target or can’t have a clear vision of the target, you can’t think of doing better in the game.
- Ease of assembling and disassemble: While buying a portable disc golf basket, you should always look for such a basket that takes less time to assemble and dissemble. Most of these baskets come with offering you not to use any extra tools for assembling and it will take only a few minutes.
- Weight: If you are looking for a portable basket then you should buy a lightweight product. A heavyweight product will make it difficult to carry on and set up.
- Foldable design: For more easiness in portability, a golf disc basket with a foldable design will be a worthy thing to choose.
How to use portable disc golf basket
Using a portable basket in disc golf instead of a permanent one will help you to set up it in any open spaces you want. The process of using a portable disc golf basket is quite simple to me. You need to setup the parts and your basket is ready. There are several parts in the basket and you have to combine them after buying the whole set.
- Unbox the whole set: The first thing you need to do after buying the basket is to unbox it and see what’s in the box. You might find an instruction for the setup, which will make the process easier for you.
- Set up the base: Then took the base of the basket. Different bases are differently designed. But every base will have a hole to insert the pole in it. Place the base, where you are willing to set up the basket in a field or open space.
- Insert the pole in the base: Most of these baskets have two poles in the pack. One is used for setting up the basket and the other one is used for the chains. Insert the first pole in the hole located in the middle of the base and tighten it with a clamp.
- Set up the basket .pdf: It’s time to set the basket on the first pole. Your basket needs to be strong large enough to hold the discs.
- Insert the second part of the pole: After setting up the basket, take the second part of the pole and insert it in the middle of the basket.
- Latch the chain on the pole: The last thing before getting your basket ready for use is to latch the chain on to the top of the second pole. Different baskets have a different number of chains.
- Make the whole set tighten: Now tighten the whole set-top to bottom and make it sturdier on, which can serve you in a better way during the game.
How much is a disc golf basket
I would like to divide the cost of a disc golf basket into two categories. One is mounted or permanent baskets and the other one is portable baskets.
- Portable baskets: These baskets are easily usable and you can set up them anywhere you like. Most of these baskets don’t require any extra tools for set up. Just gather the parts and attach them one by one. Portable disc golf baskets cost around $100 to $150. But spending something around $200 will provide you a better one of course.
- Permanent baskets: These baskets are comparatively expensive than portable ones. These are needed to be made of more robust and sturdier materials. That’s why the price also goes up. You can have one of them by spending around $250 to $400.
Number of disc golf baskets used in disc golf
In most of the disc golf matches, 9 holes or 18 holes are used. These are known as courses. However, in some courses, 21, 24 and even 27 holes are used. Well, the holes I’m talking about referring to the baskets. These disc golf baskets are commonly called holes in the game.
Disc golf basket dimensions
As I said there are different parts of the basket, it has different size and weight also. Having a competition-grade gaming experience knowing the official dimension of the basket is going to help you a lot.
- Rim size: According to the official rules of disc golf, the rim should measure 21.33 inches in diameter.
- Lower basket size: The lower basket or where the discs are going to be thrown should be larger than the upper rim. The basket should measure 25.7 inches in diameter.
- Chain size: There are 12 outer chains and a minimum of 6 inner chains used in a basket. The minimum length of these chains should be 9 inches.
- Overall height of the basket: The pole or the whole basket should be 4 feet 4 inches high above the ground.
A portable disc golf basket will provide you enhanced fun in the backyard or nearest fun in this hot summer. You just need to decide which one is appropriate for you and then set it up. The buying guide section might have made things a lot easier for you. And you don’t have to spend more money if you have read the cost of these baskets above.