The volleyball game is divided into a number of sets. And the result of the game is also decided by the winner of a maximum number of sets. Well, a professional-level volleyball match has five sets. But at the junior level, your matches can also be played in three sets. So if you ask me and want a definite answer to how many sets are in volleyball, then I must say there are five sets in volleyball.
In volleyball, you just don't need to play continuously to win the match. Rather the game is divided into sets where definite numbers of points set for the players to gain and win the set. The team winning the most number of sets wins the match also. Basically, you will find volleyball games played in five sets and sometimes also in three and even in two sets, but it's rare.
Well, in modern volleyball, the word set is used. But in reality, the set doesn't exist in volleyball perfectly. You can call it a single game or nowadays it is known as set. So you need to know what a set in volleyball is actually.
What is a set in volleyball
The word set used in volleyball is an overhead pass used to change the direction of the dig and put the ball in a good position for the spiker. It is a tactical side of volleyball. In other words, you can say when an offensive player directs the ball to an area by the net so that a teammate can spike the ball into the opponent's court is known as set in the game of volleyball.
Types of sets
- Shoot: A variation on the quick set except instead of setting the ball to the middle the ball is set to the outside hitter.
- One: A one set is a quick set to the middle.
- Two: A two set is a set in the middle of the court at net, usually to the middle hitter.
- Three: A three-set is a quick set about halfway between the outside and middle.
- Four: A four-set is a set that goes high to the outside hitter.
- Five: A five ball is a backset to the right-side hitter.
- Ten: A ten set is a set to a back row attacker. The ball is set to be attacked near the 3-meter attack line. This set also can be called a pipe.
- Chaos: An outside in which the middle runs a one, the outside comes for a two off the middle's shoulder, and the weak side runs around the back to hit an outside 3.
- Jones: A variation of chaos where the middle runs a one, the outside comes for a back 2, and the weak side comes around to hit and outside 3. The shelter may choose to set the ball to any of the three hitting options. This play is designed so that the setter is able to accommodate the set according to where the block is positioned.
- Shocker: An attack in which the middle runs a one, the opposite comes for a two of the middle's shoulder, and the outside runs or slides around to hit a back two.
- Loop: This is a lower set to the outsider hitter, but is higher than a shoot.
- Bick: This set is very much similar to the pipe, but actually a very slow set.
Points in a volleyball set
Mainly a volleyball game is played in two different kinds of set format. These are three sets of game and five sets of the game. At the junior level, you will basically find the three sets of the game. But at the same time, they are capable of participating in five sets of game.
At the college level or professional level, five sets are used to arrange a complete volleyball game. So the mostly used set format in a volleyball game is five-set format. The team that wins the maximum number of sets in a game wins the game also. It means in three sets of game, you need to win two sets to win the match and in five sets of game you need to win at least three sets to become victorious.
In five sets format, the first four sets are played for 25 points. But the fifth or last set is played for 15 points. But remember one thing, to win a set, you have to score these 25 points with keeping at least a gap of two points from your opposition team. Just like, 25 by 23. But if there is a situation like 24 by 24 then the set winning setpoints would be 26.
It means at any cost you have to keep a minimum gap of two points from you opposite team to win the set. This rule also is the same for the fifth set. You have to score 15 points with keeping a gap of two points minimum from the other team and thus you can win the match.
In a three-set format match each set is played for 25 points and the rule is the same. But beach volleyball has a different number of points. It is played in a three-set format but every set consists of 21 points.
So in a volleyball game, there are mainly five sets.