A scrabble board has a 15 by 15 grids design, which contains 225 squares for the scrabble tiles. Each letter tile comes is made of one wooden letter tile. The player tries scoring points by arranging one word from left to right or downward.
However, you won’t always need to get this board size. You can also go for a giant one to enhance the fun of the game. Unlike most other board games like Crokinole or Klask board game, it tough to win in scrabble board as it has more square grids.
We will break into every detail about scrabble board size here and you should continue if you are interested.
What is the standard size of a scrabble board?
A professional scrabble board game requires a standard size game board as well. To maintain playability at higher levels, having a regulation-sized game board is the first priority of any board game. The standard size of a scrabble board is a 15 by 15 grid.
- The regulation 15 by 15 scrabble game board comes with a double panel ½ fold design.
- Each of the square grids on the board is made for one letter tile.
- This big game board requires both luck and skill-based playing from the participants.
- The longest scrabble in the scrabble board game doesn't go over 8 letters.
- A standard scrabble board requires 100 tiles to play the game.
How many squares are on a scrabble board
A regulation size 15 by 15 scrabble board contains 225 squares. However, the number increases when the size of the board increases. The largest scrabble board is equipped with 441 squares as it comes with a 21 by 21 grid design.
- Among the 225 squares in a regulation scrabble board, there are eight triple word score squares. Traditionally the squares come in dark red color.
- The board contains 17 double-word score squares. It a traditional scrabble board, these squares come in pale red color. Also, the center square among all these squares has a symbol or star mark in the middle.
- There more 12 triple letter squares available on the board, which come in dark blue color.
- Lastly, the board is also equipped with 24 double letter squares and these squares come in pale blue color.
How big can be a scrabble board
Well, if a 15 by 15 grid square board, which is already larger than a jigsaw puzzle board isn't enough for you, you can look out for the larger version. In fact, it is the largest version of the scrabble board and it is a 21 by 21 game board.
- The biggest scrabble game board is 21 by 21 grids and it is called a super-sized Scrabble board.
- The board comes with a total of 441 squares, which is almost double compared to a regulation scrabble board that contains 225 squares.
- The giant size of the board produces more opportunities for the participants.
- Instead of conventional 100 tiles, the players need 200 tiles while playing a scrabble board game on a super-sized board.
What are bonus squares in scrabble board?
When a square on the scrabble board scores more than it should score, is called bonus squares. There are a total of 61 such bonus scoring squares available in a regulation size 15 by 15 scrabble board. For competitive gameplay, it is mandatory to have a bonus square on a standard game board.
- The largest bonus square is offered by the double letter score squares, which have 24 squares.
- With 17 squares, double word score squares obtain the second position.
- In the third position, the board has 12 triple letter scores. It makes the score thrice the face value of the letter.
- And with 8 triple word score squares, each word in that portion has three times more value.
- These bonus squares create opportunities for the participants to score more with tactical moves.
What are the different scrabble board editions?
Throughout this long journey of scrabble boards, the different manufacturer has created different boards to meet the needs of the users. These boards are suitable in different situations and every scrabble game lover might want to have a quick look at the editions.
Standard Edition: This board is the ideal one for competitive gameplays. It comes with 15 by 15 grids setup with 225 squares. Players will get 100 tiles for the gameplay in this classic and regulation-size board.
Super-size edition: When the regulation-size board gets out of use, a super-size board can come in handy. The 21 by 21 grids setup with 441 squares makes the gameplay more thrilling and competitive.
Deluxe edition: The special features of these boards are their rotating mechanisms and personalized graphics. The manufacturers use robust materials and features on the backside of the board. However, some rare deluxe models also come with glass and hardwood construction.
Travel edition: The most modern scrabble game board makers have put importance on making travel edition boards. When you have to rush somewhere and couldn’t finish the game, you can’t keep the gameplay paused in normal boards. But it is possible in the travel edition as it contains recessed tile holders, magnetic tiles, stay fast holders, etc.
You can easily fold the board to keep the gameplay stopped where you want to start again.
Tile lock edition: This edition has both standard scrabble board and a super-size board. The main feature of this edition is having little and small plastic tiles with little plastic posts.
Large print and Braille edition: The main difference from standard scrabble board to these boards is the color and font size. Boards included in this edition features extra contrasting colors with larger font sizes.
What is the size of the tile in the scrabble board game?
There are also some different sizes of tiles used in scrabble board games. However, the standard dimension is 19 mm by 19 mm square that is slightly smaller than the squares of the game board. However, these regulation-size tiles are 4 mm thick.
- Scrabble board game titles come with plastic or wooden construction.
- Tiles from travel editions are smaller compared to the standard ones and the dimension of these tiles is 13 mm by 13 mm square.
- Some deluxe edition tiles have a different and lowered thickness, which is 2 mm only.
How many letter tiles included in the scrabble board
There are a total of 100 letter tiles included in the scrabble board and each tile has different scoring values. The total scoring value of these 100 tiles is 187.
- The highest score value is 10, which is obtained by Q and Z.
- J and X possess the second-highest score value of 8.
- K comes with a score value of 5 and it’s the only tile with this value.
- F, H, V, W, and Y have a scoring value of 4.
- B, C, M, and P possess a scoring of 3.
- There are only D and G with 2 scoring values.
- The lowest score value is 1, and A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T & R have this.
- E letter comes with the highest 12 tiles on the list.
- J, K, Q, X, and Z has only one tile of each here.